We must admit, we didn’t know the difference either! When it comes to your online marketing strategy, there is a big difference between the two. Creating online content can be a combination of creating your own content through vlogging, blogging, photography, copywriting and posting or curating content (source it from others and share it).
Do you find that you see interesting stuff online which you re-share? Does it make up the majority of your social media strategy? Starting off, this can be a great mix into your strategy but we will give you a few reasons why you should also be creating your own engaging content.
CONS OF CURATING
1. It doesn’t have as much reach with new algorithm update – this means not as many people will see it as opposed to if you posted something original.
2. Articles or photos are typically in someone else’s business branding so it may look out of place on your social streams.
3. On Instagram especially, curating content from others may be frowned upon or not the best practice especially if the owner of the image didn’t wish for it to be shared, or the image isn’t credited.
PROS OF CURATING
1. Saves time. As business owners, we don’t always have the time to sit down and write a blog or create a graphic.
2. Sharing content may be engaging to your audience especially if it’s a complimentary service you offer that adds value to your client, even if you didn’t create this information.
3. It allows for an opportunity to collaborate if you find similarities between your message with other businesses around you.
Do you create or curate content? Let us know in the comments below.